Tuesday, September 2, 2014

What's Hiding Behind That Beautiful Prose? (Why I Write YA)

When people ask me what my current novel is about and I tell them it's YA, they often look at me sideways. This one's not right in the head. She never grew up. Why would she write for children when she could write for adults?

The criticism is harshest from other writers (especially those who harbor disdain for anything that isn't "artistic" "insightful" or "literary").

They never seem to ask me out loud why I love writing YA (and am considering a new fantasy MG idea - I'll keep you posted). But, I'm going to answer them anyway.

I write YA because as a writer, you can't hide behind beautiful metaphors or long strings of gorgeous prose. You guys know what I'm talking about: Those novels where every stinking sentences is a metaphor (most obscure) and the beautiful prose flows unbounded from overly-long chapter to overly-long chapter. Now, adults will read this. Millions of books like this sell every year. Adults will sit there and think, "There must be some artistic reason this character has done nothing for 150 pages but look at a stain on his favorite coffee mug. It must mean something!" or "I know I've already read 500 pages and nothing has happened other than me following this character to and from work, but in the 548 pages to go, I know this boredom is going to be revealed as something amazing and insightful."

Adults will ponder your philosophy. They'll say it's existential or Darwinian.

Teens don't care. They don't have time for that, and they definitely won't read 500 pages just hoping that eventually they'll figure out the meaning.

Teens want a good story with fast pacing and connectable characters. They want to feel, smell, and taste what your characters are experiencing. And they want it every chapter, every sentence, every word. No where in a YA novel can you hide behind your good writing. No where is there room for brainy dribble. Because teens don't care about it and they definitely don't want to read it.

To write YA you need both great writing and fantastic storytelling ability.

So, my answer to those sideways glances and bulging, judgmental eyes is this: I write YA because it forces me to be a better writer. It forces me to cut the crap and keep only the things that propel the story. I can't keep a paragraph of useless but fantastic writing - I must save that for my journal and my eyes only.

I write YA because everything counts.

Does that make me juvenile?

Maybe. Think what you want, but I still make a wicked frozen pizza.

No comments:

Post a Comment