Tuesday, August 26, 2014

YA/New Adult Reading List

I've been fervently writing the first draft of a new YA novel. It's taken up all my time and brain power. My thoughts are planted firmly in the plot and characters of that world, but I still find time to read. It gives me a break from my own head. Also, it helps me understand the market I'm trying to break into. What's being published in YA? What works? What doesn't?

Here are a few of the books I've recently read:

Winger by Andrew Smith - it's vulgar and hilarious. Told from the POV of a 14 year-old boarding school boy. You will laugh, you will cry (I mean it), but most importantly, this stand-alone novel will stay with you for the rest of your life. It's so good. Check it out here on Amazon for a full description: http://www.amazon.com/Winger-Smith-Andrew/dp/1442444932/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1409072397&sr=1-1&keywords=winger+by+andrew+smith

The Rithmatist by Brandon Sanderson - this was an accidental find at my local book store. I went in in search of the second novel in a series, but found this instead. It's the first book in a series by Sanderson but he hasn't gotten very far on book two (hint, hint, Sanderson). I highly recommend this read. It's gearpunk (not normally a genre I read, even in YA) and is at once suspenseful and beautiful. You will not see the twist coming at the end (or shall I say, the double twist?). I won't give away more. Here it is on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Rithmatist-Brandon-Sanderson/dp/0765338440/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1409072433&sr=1-1&keywords=the+rithmatist

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell - I must admit, this is the first Rainbow Rowell novel I've read. I'd seen her novels in bookstores, but never picked one up. While researching agents, I saw that everyone wanted "a Rainbow Rowell" for their YA roster. So, if it works, read it, right? I was not disappointed. Rowell's descriptions are killer and spot on. She's funny and poignant and heart breaking in this New Adult novel. I haven't finished this novel yet, so no notes on the ending, but the first half (Fall Semester) has me hooked. It pulls me away from writing my own YA novel when I need a break. I now understand why all agents want their own Rainbow Rowell. Check her out for yourself here: http://www.amazon.com/Fangirl-Rainbow-Rowell/dp/1250030951/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1409072613&sr=1-1&keywords=fangirl

Happy Reading, fellow scribes!

No comments:

Post a Comment