Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Cutting the Crap

I'm in the revision stage for all my major manuscripts - my YA manuscript, a lengthy sci-fi "short", and my mostly-as-of-now untouched memoir.

With revision on the brain and a writer's group freshly attended, I'd like to share with you my philosophy with revision and the writing that happens before it.

First: Writing.
I'm in the boat of writers who says don't outline, don't think too hard, and definitely don't reread your work until you finish your first draft. That first draft is going to be baggy, full of tangents, and pretty much all-around crap. This is good. You will read it and think you're a terrible writer who should never write another word again. Good. This will motivate you.

Second: Revision.
I am also in the boat of writers who truly enjoys revision. I like spending the time with my characters to truly understand them and probe deep within their minds and motives. Revision is where I can make scenes better and add ones that will help the reader better understand the flow of action or the characters. Revision is where I quite literally cut the crap of my first draft and feel less terrible about myself.

So here's this weeks advise - choose whichever category describes you and read on.

1. The writer too afraid to write/ the writer with writer's block: Don't be afraid. Write something and add more to it everyday. It's better to write baggy and have to spend time cutting later than to never write at all, right?

2. The writer who doesn't think his writing needs revision/ the writer too afraid of revision to cut into his first draft: Your writing DOES need revision. I don't care how scared you are or how awesome you think your first draft is. It isn't. This goes for everyone - even the greats. Go sentence by sentence. Is this sentence needed? If you say no - cut it. If you say maybe and want to provide a long explanation why - cut it or pay up $1,000,000 just like the bulky dialogue conversation we had back in July (find it here). Then go scene by scene or character by character and follow the same process. I promise you'll thank me later when your manuscript is no longer 250,000 words and you can reach the top of the bestseller list.

Until then, happy revising! To leave you this week, here's a picture of me in my baggiest revision clothes, ready to be trimmed..........................April Fools! (Come on, you know I had to.)

No comments:

Post a Comment