Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Pondering the Writing Professor

Over the years, I've had a number of writing professors. Some have stayed in my life for years, others lasted only a few days. Recently, I was discussing a writing professor with my friends. I didn't stay long with this professor because I didn't like his teaching style. My friends, on the other hand, all had fantastic experiences and learned a great deal from this professor.

How can four people - dedicated to writing - think so differently about the same teacher?


Here are my thoughts:

Writing professors (and writing degree programs) are subjective. They all teach you mostly the same thing, but in completely different ways. It's much like reading a plethora of different books on writing instruction. Some you'll think are amazing, others are going to suck.

Writing professors are the same. Some you will connect with. They'll tell you about setting and it will make every piece of advice you've ever heard about setting click into comprehension in your mind. Other professors will try to teach you about setting and it's like they're speaking in Ancient Alien Runes.

All in all, you need to do your research and decide for yourself what works best. Sure you can ask the advice of your friends, but if I had accepted that advice three years ago, I wouldn't have taken a class (and then another) with one of the best writing professors who has helped me understand the craft.

So, don't worry about which schools have the highest ranking, and don't worry about the doubt those other professors have sewn in you.

You need to do what's right for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment