Tuesday, July 28, 2015

More Publishing News (And a Market for You!)

North Carolina must be bringing me good luck because I write to you again this week with more publishing news!

My short story The Eastern Route is being published in the August 1st issue of Vitality magazine.

You can pre-order now on www.readvitality.com for the issue coming out this Saturday, and if that's not exciting enough, my story was used as the Sneak Peek on their homepage.

If you haven't heard of Vitality magazine know that they are entirely online, so your issue will be sent directly to your email if you pre-order or subscribe. Vitality is unique in the fact that they publish stories, poetry, and artwork with casually integrated LGBTQ+ protagonists. This means they publish pieces that are fun and "escape" fiction rather than pieces that deal with the stresses of transition, bullying, homophobia, rape, or the martyrdom or death of LGBTQ peoples.

In their About section on their website, they describe themselves. "[Vitality is] a safe place full of wonder and awesome where the reader can see characters like themselves doing things like battling dragons, solving crimes, acting in a circus, or traveling the world. All genres and styles can be found in Vitality. The only limit is your imagination."     from: http://www.readvitality.com/about-vitality/


This is an extremely exciting proposition for writers because you can literally write close to anything. Have a fantastic space opera idea? Send it to Vitality! Want to write about sailors and sirens? Do it! Feel the need to dive into the realm of pixies or ghosts or time-hopping two-headed warriors? Now you can with the knowledge that a market exists. Just like they say, your imagination is the limit.

For me, this meant that I was able to write in one of my favorite genres: Steampunk. I'm really excited to present my transgender airship pilot and his love interest at the start of next month.

I hope you take a look at The Eastern Route if you get a chance, and please research Vitality. Not only is a great market with endless possibilities for creativity, but it also promotes diversity in fiction. What could possibly be better than that?


PS> check out that gorgeous artwork Rebecca Schauer did to bring my story to life! Can't wait to see the whole image!

2 comments:

  1. I really liked your story in Vitality! I felt a little cheated not knowing how they saved the East; you should consider expanding the story sometime!! I used to work as a baker, so I think it'd be really cool if one got to do something Great and Save Everyone, definitely omg! Well, probably Odin would be doing most of the work Saving and Trabe would be supporting him in important ways, but still.... Your story was awesome!! Thanks for writing it, :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Victorcine! I'm glad you enjoyed it! I definitely think there's room for me to expand Odin's and Trabe's story. We'll have to wait and see what happens :)

    ReplyDelete