Tuesday, January 6, 2015

It's Alright.

Today, I'd like to express a little grammar rant. I've fought over this for years with teachers, friends, other writers, passing people at the coffee shop, etc. The giant debate (and source of my raised blood pressure) is the word:

ALRIGHT.

That's right. Alright.

The definition of alright is "satisfactory" "permissible" or "adequate".

Now, are you jumping out of your seat? Do you want to scream at me like many an English professor that the correct spelling is "all right" and that "alright" is not a real word?

That's why I'm here to stand up for alright. Because it is a word. I use it often and anytime I can.

After all, if:

cannot
lifetime
elsewhere
anybody
meantime
everything
nowhere
sometimes
anyone
therefore
and somewhere

can be compounded words acceptable in the English language, why do we deny that simple liberty to alright?

Even other A-L words are allowed to be compounded. Take:

already
and always

as prime examples.

So why not alright? Why do we discriminate against such a perfectly readable and acceptable word?

I will never understand it, but I will always fight for alright's rights. In the name of lower word counts and easier spelling around - alright is the way to go.

Comment if you agree. Or simply keep using alright in your manuscripts and school essays. Take the grade hit for the future of our English language. For the future of alright's freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment