Monday, April 29, 2013

When You Don't Write (as in; My Friends Finally Convinced Me to Forgo Writing for Laser Tag)

My college often uses its budget to rent or create interesting activities for its students. Since it's finals week, laser tag qualified as one of these stress-reducing activities. Giant inflatable bunkers were erected in the gym and signs hung around campus advertising the event. I had never played laser tag, but the prospect of shooting my frustrations away with harmless light beams seemed like an OK idea.

There was only one problem.

If I took the two hour period needed to suit up and play a few rounds of laser tag in the gym, I would not have writing time. I still needed to eat dinner, finish my studying, and then get some sleep before my exams. With all these other priorities, this two hour time span would have been devoted to writing on any other day, but for some reason I was finding it hard to say no to laser tag. Perhaps it was the magnetic energy flowing off my crazy friends, or perhaps it was the Logic textbook sitting open on my bed in my peripheral vision, or maybe it was just the fantastic mood I had been in since Spring decided to arrive, but laser tag was calling my name.

So I went. And though I didn't write that day, I didn't regret my decision.

I had fun, and I have to admit, the activity did relieve some of my unneeded, finals week stress.

There's a quote from John Lennon that I think applies to this situation. It goes, "Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted." And I agree with Mr. Lennon, here. Because the next day, I slotted back into my writing routine, and I was able to write 8 fluid pages in my current project.

Basically, what I'm getting at is don't stress. Make sure you set up your writing schedule and stick to it as best you can, but if you really feel that another experience will be more beneficial to your mental or physical health at that scheduled time, bend a little. It's OK to be spontaneous. It's OK to deviate for the sake of your own sanity. Just like I've talked about before, you don't have to do what everyone else is doing to make yourself happy or to be successful. Sometimes the best thing you can do for your work is take a break. Then, you may come back even more rejuvenated, and get more work done, than if you had forced yourself to stick to your original plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment