Monday, April 22, 2013

Are You Willing to Learn?

I know I said we'd talk about the conventions of writing and all that fun stuff, but we're going to deviate a little today. Spontaneity is part of being an artist, so I hope you don't mind. I promise we'll come back to conventions in the coming weeks.

Today, I want to talk about media. TV in particular. I've had a few discussions in and out of class about the consequences of TV. Because this keeps happening to me, I feel it's the universe's way of saying that I need to put this issue out there for more discussion that doesn't reside on my college campus.

Most people I talk to think TV is stagnant for the viewer's mental condition - or even detrimental. I would agree with them if the viewer of said TV is solely watching reality TV, comedy skits, cartoons, or bogus pop culture movies. However, TV can be a very beneficial tool. Documentaries, unbiased news, travel shows about obscure countries, and history shows can all be very beneficial. In America, we also have a wonderful tool known as PBS. PBS tries to air documentaries or movies from other artists, activists, or thinkers that would not otherwise have a voice in our culture propelled by big-box stores, bratty kids of reality TV, and instant information.

In the past week alone I've learned how truck stops got their start, received an insight into the culture and cuisine of Koreatown in LA, learned the evolution of feminism (or lack thereof) in TV shows, and I've discovered a new ferret species in North Dakota. This was all made possible by TV. Now, of course, I could have found this information somewhere else, but TV is what introduced these topics to me. They were a learning experience, as long as I was willing to learn from them. That's the key, right there. If you're going to make the switch from mindless entertainment to intellectual opportunity, you have to be willing to learn new information. You have to sit back with your coffee or tub of ice cream and submit your mind to the obtainment of new, current information that affects us and our world. Think of all the story inspiration you can acquire when you let this happen!

The other day, I stumbled upon a quote in a Picasso exhibit that I found profound. Picasso says, "Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working."

This is why I feel TV doesn't have to be stagnant or detrimental. If you're willing to put in the time - the same amount of time it may take you to find a good book or a trustable Laundromat - TV can be a fast-track to new information. Information that will store itself in your brain and be available for future reference when it comes time to sit and write again.

No comments:

Post a Comment