Monday, March 25, 2013

Tales of a Dorm Room Chef

I am one of those people who loves to cook. It's a hobby. I know I'll never make money off it or turn it into a career, but I do enjoy cooking. As any of you who have ever visited, lived in, or heard about a college dorm room know, cooking is very difficult in the dorms. Most don't have kitchens at all. My dorm does have a kitchen, but it's about 3 feet wide, is continuously sticky, and it smells of indefinable substances cooked long ago...not to mention I'd have to tote ingredients and cookware up and down 6 flights of stairs to get there. And I already have to make that hike every week on laundry day.

So, you can imagine I get excited when I find a recipe that's easy to make (ex. requiring nothing more than a microwave and refrigerator) and actually tastes good.

For this reason I share with you today my recipe for microwave cheesy eggs. It's perfect for the college dorm student, but it's also great for those days when you get off work/school with an urge to write, sit down to complete it, and don't look up until 11 p.m. That's when you realize you've forgotten to eat today. I know...I've been there.

In those tricky situations, here's the quick and simple recipe (using a standard 700 watt dorm room-regulated microwave, of course!):

Microwave Cheesy Eggs

Step 1: Coat a microwavable coffee mug with cooking spray.


Step 2: Add desired amount of eggs (I use 2) and a splash of water or milk. Scramble.

 

Step 3: Cook eggs on High for 1 minute. Stir. Cook eggs for another 1-2 minutes, until they are no longer runny.

Step 4: Top with cheese of choice (so far I've tried provolone and a shredded Mexican cheese blend) and return to microwave for another 30 seconds or until cheese is melted - Be Careful Not to Burn Eggs
 
Step 5:  Season to taste and enjoy!
 
This is what your finished product should look like:

 
 
 

 
Happy Writing and Happy Cooking Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment