Thursday, March 10, 2016

Novel Tips: A Blog on Writing

This week I'd like to share with you another resource that you can use to grow your knowledge in the craft and help make your book ready for publication.

When I lived in Wisconsin, I had a writing mentor named Laurel Yourke. That's right, the same Laurel Yourke who wrote the 2000 book on writing: Take Your Characters to Dinner.

If you were to ask her now, as I have, what she thinks of that book, she'll implore that you never read it and don't even look it up. Like what's so true for many of us, she hates the mention of a work she did so long ago that she would do completely differently if she was allowed to rewrite it in the present.

I know I have the same problem. I take a look at the first novel I wrote at age 12 and grimace. How could I think that was good writing? How could people encourage me to keep writing after they read that slop?

The point is, they did encourage me. And I never could have arrived where I am today without them, Laurel included.

In respect for her, I won't tell you to read her 2000 book on writing (which I linked above, by the way), but I will suggest that you take a few moment and peruse her blog. It's main audience is for those who write novels - but there's awesome craft tips on there any writer would be grateful for.

She does a format much like myself - a post each week - so don't be afraid to rustle deep within the archives. It's all golden there.

Here's the link one more time. It's titled Novel Tipshttp://noveltips.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment