Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Authorship

I've always been a big advocate of the fact that being a "writer" and having the ability to classify ourselves with the term "writer" needs only one requirement; That we write.

You needn't be published, or represented by an agent, or have written a piece over 50,000 words. Being a writer simply means that you devote your time and energy to writing.

So, with this logic, I've been a committed writer for quite some time - probably a good eight years. And many of you have, no doubt, been writers just as long or longer than I.

Still, it sure does feel good when someone recognizes you for your achievements, doesn't it? This is exactly the experience I had the other day when I signed up for a Goodreads Author profile. To receive the Goodreads Author stamp on my profile, I had to prove that I'd published a book (or, in my case, a short story which was recognized on their site) in which my work appeared.

I submitted the application and waited two excruciatingly long days until I got the email that I was approved as a Goodreads Author! I logged on and look at what I saw:




Now, I'm a writer, but I've also boarded the coveted ship of "author". Seeing this definitely gave me the boot in the pants that I needed to keep the momentum of my projects at top-speed.

So keep writing, fellow scribes. Keep submitting and crossing your fingers that your story will be accepted. It'll take forever (eight years!) but it'll be worth it in the end.

[In the meantime, feel free to check out my profile on Goodreads. Also, if you're a Goodreads Author yourself (or simply a Goodreads member) hit me up in the comments or follow my profile and I'll come check out your books!]

No comments:

Post a Comment