Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Making Money from Writing: Alternative Markets

You want to build your author platform so one day you can catch an agent's eye and get your novel published and make millions of dollars....this is for sure a goal.

We've talked about author platforms in the past: your options often extend to literary journals publishing your short stories, contest wins, and knowing big-name authors.

But, Alyssa, you say, I don't have time to write hundreds of short stories, spend time revising and editing, and then send those stories off to literary journals to wait the seven to fourteen months lag time before I get a rejection, or, an acceptance that carries no prize money. I barely have time to write my novel as it is, and if I'm not getting paid for my writing time, I'm going to work on my true passion.

And I agree with you. While literary magazines can give you awesome credits (and contests can too, if you pay the submission fees), they take up a lot of time that could have been spent on your main writing project.

So, how do you build your author platform into at least a measly little soapbox that pushes your query above the rest?

My answer: alternative (paying) markets. Check out freelance writing - even if it's not your full time or even part time occupation. Write articles on things you know. Work in a hospital - write medical. Have a psychology degree - write about the brain and human actions. Like to live eco friendly - write eco articles for small but lucrative eco magazines.

And if you're really looking for an adventurous writing experience, try writing copy or reword a local company's crappy website or brochure. Write greeting cards, inspirational weekly email messages, blogs for paying markets.

A quick online search will show you tons of smaller markets looking for fantastic writing (who are willing to pay - a little or a lot - for your time and talents).

But Alyssa, you're saying now, that's not fiction. How will an agent know I can write fiction?

Well, I say don't worry. Having this type of alternative platform may not make you a literary darling, but it will show agents you possess one very needed aspect of being a successful writer - you can sell your work for profit.

No comments:

Post a Comment