Tuesday, October 1, 2013

The Cheapest Writing Retreat Ever

Since it's October 1st, I spent the day decorating the local public library (where I work in children's and youth services) and my house for Halloween. It was a lot of ladder work to say the least. But the whole time, people were commenting on the new décor. At the library everything looked "spooky", "festive", and "cool" in the children's sections. At home it was "Halloween chic" and "creative".

This new scenery even made me smile after a long day's work. It's something different to look at, something stimulating to my mind. I had to use my imagination to decide where decorations were going, then I had to be tenacious and tactful (and often tall enough) to execute it.

It got me thinking that a change in scenery can be a great thing for the creative muscle we need to use to write. I suddenly understood why so many people went on writer's retreats in faraway places. I wanted to go too. But much like the price tag of the fog machine at the supermarket, I couldn't afford it. Though it'd be cool and awesome and festive and all, I just couldn't make it happen.

Therefore, I decorated my house after decorating at work. It put a new little spring in my step. It's a new piece of scenery to look at, a new visual stimuli to get my brain a-cooking! I'm expecting fantastic results from the cheapest writing retreat ever (since it's my town, my home, and my desk). I'll keep you posted.

Oh, and if you would like some inspiration, here's some of the decorating in my own home. I didn't get library decoration pictures yet, sorry.

My "witches live here" sign with pretty fall background.
 
Close up of my skeleton garland
 
Island table scape with candy, pumpkins, apples, and love potion brew.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment