Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Illustrated by Alyssa Nedbal

The wait is over!

The illustration project I've been hinting at since mid-March can finally be revealed to the public.



 

The project is through my previous college, who has a fantastic relationship and exchange program with Malawi. While I was enrolled in the college, I was given the opportunity to create images for one in a series of young reader books that are published in both English and Chichewa. As you read this, the books are in transit to the Mzuzu University Children's Library in Malawi, Africa.

 

My early reader book was titled Nurse and was written by 12 year-old Thokozani Nyirongo, a student in Malawi. The book follows a "when I grow up" format and talks about how the protagonist of the story wishes to be a nurse when she grows up and all the things that she will do as a nurse.


I used watercolor and oil pastel to create each image - which originally measured 14x16 before being photographed, formatted, and printed. There are 10 images throughout the book. Here are a few more of the pages (held open by yours truly).

 



No comments:

Post a Comment