Monday, June 10, 2013

On Outlines

Do you outline before you write? No? Yes? Does it matter? Let's see...

I am not, by nature, an outliner. In fact, in elementary school, when they taught me how to outline, I would actually write the story or essay first, so I knew what would happen, and then I would write my outline. It was easier for me this way because writing made me think. Outlining did not.

I don't usually outline - especially when I write fiction - because I feel that it constrains the flow of the story. I like to let the story evolve organically from the personalities of my characters and the friction from their environment. I find that, even when I do outline (usually when I write nonfiction), that I abandon it pretty quickly. Because that's what always happens: I think I know exactly what's going to happen and exactly how my characters are going to react to the situations I set up for them, but then they choose to do something else. They create a detour in my outline that skips an entire portion of the outline or makes the rest of the outline useless.

So, even if you are a strict outliner or you usually use outlines to guide your writing, remember: Always listen to your characters. If you sensor them, or try to make the story line go in an inorganic route, your readers will sense it. However, outlines can be useful. It helps when you come back to your writing after a break and can then read a quick synopsis of what's happened thus far. Also, if you find yourself stuck, you can consult the outline for guidance.

My take on the outlining debate is, it doesn't matter if you outline or not. You are still going to have to write, revise, and edit, no matter what. There's no way around, just different paths to the same end. So do what makes you happy and do what works for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment