Monday, January 21, 2013

How to Write Your Way to a Writing Degree (and Beyond)

Okay, so this isn't so much a step-by-step "how to" guide on writing your way to a writing degree. In fact, I'm on the journey now, trying to figure it out myself. Knowing that little fact, I currently can't give you any of the magic steps to author-dom. (Bummer, I know.) If anyone out there does know the magic steps, though, feel free to share.

Now for the good news: we can figure out this journey together. We can share first draft jubilee, cures for (or maybe just distractions from) writer's block, revision problems, and the joys or rejections as we search for publication and graduation caps - no matter which order they come in. I'll talk about my college experience as well as my ups and downs as an aspiring writer.

Ugh...I shudder writing that word. Aspiring. The real definition means to try and attain a goal. It means we're trying to get somewhere or do something. However, the connotation in our current society is one that if you're aspiring (trying), you're not achieving.

I may be writing in between classes - hyped and jittery on 4 pots of coffee - getting a rough 5 hours of sleep per night, living on a diet of high sodium, and fueling my unnatural obsession for hats and yellow shoes, but as long as I keep writing, can anyone deny that I'm a writer?

I had a writing professor tell me that all you need to do to be a writer is write. He would say this when he saw how overwhelmed I was becoming under the stress of life. So I say we take his advice and banish the word aspiring. Instead, let's call ourselves by our real titles. Writers.

From obscurity to publication....here we go.

No comments:

Post a Comment